Tuesday, October 1, 2013

October Herald: Pastor's Article


Dear Neighbors,

I am preparing this morning for the final implementation of a process that has taken six months to bring to reality.

Six months ago, at a Long Term Recovery Group Meeting for Hurricane Sandy, our Board treasurer stood up to report on the result of a grant application to the Sandy Relief Fund.

He then issued a challenge.  Any member agency of the LTRG (churches included) were encouraged to write a grant as well.  I remember him saying “Anyone can write a grant to get money for something that you see that needs fixing.” 

I saw something that needed fixing.  I saw the souls of people who, once they got their needs of daily living, food, water, and shelter, under control, would have the time to break down under the stress.

I have lived it as a parent.  My child has something wrong, I will be strong to get them through.  When they are okay, then it will be time for me NOT to be okay.  How about people who have lost everything?

How do we pick up on people who are moving out of the enforced “being okay” survival mode to not being okay when they come out of survival mode.

We were funded.  For six months, writing those protocols and procedures, consulting with experts, collaborating with others, that has been a chunk of my ministry.

But it’s not my ministry.  It is our church’s ministry.  And the reason I say that is because what I saw as a need, what I saw as a response to that need came out of my first-hand experience with this congregation.

People in this church are not left to themselves when they hurt.  Their friends and neighbors show up with food, with support, with whatever they need.

I learned that caring from this congregation and I am grateful that it gave me the insight to reach out to the thousands of people in our County displaced by the Superstorm.

Thank you for your living witness to Jesus.

Rev. Peter Hofstra   

No comments:

Post a Comment