Sunday, July 25, 2021

July 25, 2021 Order of Worship

 

First Presbyterian Church

July 25, 2021

10:00 AM

Order of Worship

 

CALL TO WORSHIP

We gather in the presence of Christ.

We gather, hungry and needy.

In this holy place, nothing and no one will be left behind.

The bread will be shared. The food multiplied. All will be filled. All will be satisfied.

Miracles abound. Thanks be to God.

Let us worship the Living God.

 

Hymn of Praise: “O Jesus, I Have Promised”

1. O Jesus, I have promised to serve thee to the end; be thou forever near me, my Master and my friend. I shall not fear the battle if thou art by my side, nor wander from the pathway if thou wilt be my guide.

2. O let me feel thee near me! The world is ever near; I see the sights that dazzle, the tempting sounds I hear; my foes are ever near me, around me and within; but Jesus, draw thou nearer, and shield my soul from sin.

3. O let me hear thee speaking in accents clear and still, above the storms of passion, the murmurs of self-will. O speak to reassure me, to hasten or control; O speak, and make me listen, thou guardian of my soul.

4. O Jesus, thou hast promised to all who follow thee that where thou art in glory there shall thy servant be. And Jesus, I have promised to serve thee to the end; O give me grace to follow, my Master and my Friend.

      PRAYER OF CONFESSION (In Unison)

God of grace, the world’s problems test our faith. We don’t believe all the hungry people can be fed. We don’t trust your promise to provide. We don’t jump to help when you seek to perform miracles. We make excuses for our sins and deny our complicity. Forgive us, Holy God, and free us to serve and not impede our liberating work. Amen.

*SILENT PRAYERS OF CONFESSION

ASSURANCE OF PARDON (2 Corinthians 5:17)

If anyone is in Christ, there is a new creation: everything old has passed away; see everything has become new! In the name of Jesus Christ, we are forgiven and freed. Amen.

*THE GLORIA PATRI

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost; As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end.  Amen.

INVITATION: “Dear Lord, I need You, please come into my life today.  Amen”

LESSON: Matthew 9: 2-8
2 And just then some people were carrying a paralyzed man lying on a bed. When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, ‘Take heart, son; your sins are forgiven.’ 3Then some of the scribes said to themselves, ‘This man is blaspheming.’ 4But Jesus, perceiving their thoughts, said, ‘Why do you think evil in your hearts? 5For which is easier, to say, “Your sins are forgiven”, or to say, “Stand up and walk”? 6But so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins’—he then said to the paralytic—‘Stand up, take your bed and go to your home.’ 7And he stood up and went to his home. 8When the crowds saw it, they were filled with awe, and they glorified God, who had given such authority to human beings.

SERMON:                                “What Does Faith Get You?”                                       Rev. Peter Hofstra

AFFIRMATION OF FAITH (Colossians 1: 15-20)

Jesus Christ is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation; in him all things in heaven and on earth were created, things visible and invisible. All things have been created through him and for him. He himself is before all things, and in him all things hold together. He is head of the body, the church; he is the beginning, the firstborn of the dead, so that he might come to have first place in everything. For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, and through him God was pleased to reconcile all things, whether on earth or in heaven, by making peace through the blood of his cross. Amen.

PASSING OF THE PEACE

THE OFFERING OF OUR TITHES & GIFTS (Psalm 145:16)

“You open your hand, satisfying the desire of every living thing.” God, open our hands and our hearts as we return our tithes and offerings to you

 

*DOXOLOGY

Praise God, from whom all blessings flow; Praise Him, all creatures here below; Praise Him above, ye heavenly host; Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.  Amen.

 

*PRAYER OF DEDICATION

God of Provision, gather these offerings and bless them, so that all may be satisfied, all the hungry may be fed, nothing is lost and no one left behind. Amen.

 JOYS AND CONCERNS

 

 

PRAYERS OF THE PEOPLE

Holy God, how can suffering come to an end? How can pain ease? Grief ebb? Hunger be satiated? Weapons laid down? Anxiety calmed? Corruption fought? Division overcome? Your promises to provide and the path of hope you lay out, Holy God, seem impossible under the weight of our woes. Yet still we pause to pray. We turn to you, speak to you, shorten the distance between us and you, in the hope and the faith that you listen when your people pray. You love. You weep. You act. Grateful for your ear, Holy God, we lift our prayers to you. May those in need of healing experience the balm of your nurturing care … May those in need of courage find inspiration in the heroes and heroines of your written Word … May those in need of reconciliation find empowerment in your path of peace … May those in need of guidance be blessed with your insight and wisdom … Eternal One, who blesses all of life, bless and renew us all. Time moves so fast, life always ahead of us, urging us faster and faster. May this moment of prayer and pause help us hear the wind paging through the trees, feel the warm hug of the sun, see the stars flaring, smell the lilacs across the street. May this moment of communion help us remember the support and sustenance we have here with each other and with you. United as a family of faith and as the Body of Christ, we lift these prayers up to you, God our Creator, Redeemer and Sustainer. Finally, hear us pray the prayer Christ taught us, saying,

Our Father, who art in heaven, Hallowed be Thy name; Thy kingdom come; Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.  Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.  Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil; for Thine is the kingdom and the power, and the glory forever.  Amen.

*CLOSING HYMN: “My Faith Looks Up To Thee”

1. My faith looks up to thee, thou Lamb of Calvary, Savior divine! Now hear me while I pray, take all my guilt away, O let me from this day be wholly thine!

2. May thy rich gra ce impart strength to my fainting heart, my zeal inspire! As thou hast died for me, O may my love to thee pure, warm, and changeless be, a living fire!

3. While life's dark maze I tread, and griefs around me spread, be thou my guide; bid darkness turn to day, wipe sorrow's tears away, nor let me ever stray from thee aside.

4. When ends life's transient dream, when death's cold, sullen stream shall o'er me roll; blest Savior, then in love, fear and distrust remove; O bear me safe above, a ransomed soul!

*BENEDICTION

*THREE FOLD AMEN

 Elements of Order of Worship Liturgy written by Teri McDowell Ott.

No comments:

Post a Comment